Negative body image & eating disorders affect over ONE MILLION Australians each year.
I work in an industry that is built around your body, your look and your ability. So much relies on the physical aspect of your life that it’s almost impossible not to lose yourself in the downward spiral of picking apart every little thing that is wrong with you. It frightens me when I think about how many gorgeous humans I come into contact with that are fighting a battle that no body knows about.
I remember spending most of my teenage years hating who I was. It was only as I got older that I learnt how to love myself. I made friends with the right people, read incredible books and trained my brain to focus on the positive and not the negative (because it seriously takes some training) I came to terms with the fact that the person that I could never ever get away from no matter how hard I tried, was myself. And if I didn’t love it for every inch that if offered, then who else would?!
But even though I am now at a place where I feel I have conquered most of my demons, i STILL find myself getting stuck in that yucky downward spiral when I get on an Instagram binge!!!
Note to self – DO NOT GO TO THE EXPLORE PAGE!
I see these gorgeous girls with perfect skin, long legs and incredible bodies, who spend their days flying around everywhere wearing super expensive brands and I think – I’m not like that, is that what I am meant to be doing??! Is something wrong with me?! What is wrong with me?!
… and so it begins
But really what freaks me out more is that if I am thinking like this, and I have worked SO hard to be positive minded and am so aware of how detrimental the impact of negative thinking can be, then how on earth are my younger peeps surviving this onslaught of information?!!
So from the 3rd – 9th of September, I will take the pledge.
The Butterfly Foundation with the support of SPORTSGIRL are encouraging the promotion of body confidence and raising awareness about the severity of negative body image and eating disorders amongst younger people with “LOVE YOUR BODY WEEK”
I, Cat Santos pledge to…
- Develop and celebrate body confidence throughout Love Your Body Week!
- Start learning how to love my body however I am feeling, however I look and wherever I am!
- Not criticise my individual body parts and let size dictate my self-worth, because I am a whole person
- Realise that it is a journey of understanding. It is not about trying to conform to an idealised body image
- Stop giving the scale power and stop letting the number it reads determine the success of my day
- Stop the fat talk, in regards to both myself and others and fight back against my negative thoughts
- Try and not compare my body to others
- Not be affected by negative appeals of the media
- Be grateful for all the things my body allows me to do, instead of fixating on the size of my body
- Remind myself that bodies come in all shapes and sizes, and that no matter what shape and size my body may be, it is worthy of kindness, compassion, love and nourishment
I dare you to take the pledge, and fall in love with yourself all over again.
TAKE THE PLEDGE HERE