The first time I went to the airport as GF & DF, I literally cried.
I went everywhere in the food court asking if they had GF & DF options, and to my disappointment there wasn’t much.
I was eventually sent to Toby’s Estate where I was told there was GF bread!
Oh… there was… but it tasted like paper and had the texture of a solid brick. (someone call the bloody dentist)
The last thing you want is to be hungry and be somewhere that you can’t eat. Actually, the hard part is that you know there’s food (and there are people all around you scoffing down everything you want) and technically you have a mouth so you can eat that food, but you really shouldn’t.
I travel a lot for work, so not being able to eat the first thing that I can get my hands on means that I needed to be well prepared and plan ahead of time.
So after many successful times (and more not so successful times) I am going to share with you my experiences, go-to’s and don’t bothers when travelling via the airport as GF & DF.
- Nourish Cafe (Inside the Lorna Jane Active retail store)
This beauty is my saving grace!!! It also has a little lounge inside so if you dont have access to the Virgin Australia lounge, this is the place to go! They also have a ton of snacks that you can buy to take on board with you and all kinds of milk, so grab a coffee here! But honestly you can’t go wrong, even if you’re not GF & DF.
- Jo the Juice – They do a “Ve-gain” shake. Ingredients are – plant based protein, Banana and Chocolate almond milk!
- Sumo Salad – Fruit salad… yummy yummy
- Soul Origin – If you’re lucky, they make a banana bread that is GF (not DF though) but its not consistent on their daily menu! If they do have it, it will be on the counter next to the registers. They also do almond milk! So you’re good for coffee!
- Tobys Estate – Gluten-free bread… If you’re desperate.
- Chur Burger – If you’re craving a burger, this is the place to go. They can do most burgers bunless and will give you extra salad, you can also ask for them without cheese!
- Rolld – My favourite. I always get the BUN | NOODLE SALAD with Lemongrass beef & Nuoc Mam dressing. Both the meat & dressing is gluten-free. I also grab a couple of the lemongrass beef rice paper rolls to take on board with me so I don’t get “h-Angry.”
- Mad Mex – Many of their menu items are corn based which means they are also gluten free. They have heaps of options such as soft tacos, nachos and fresh naked Burritos. Get anything you want, just don’t get the cheese and sour cream!
- Sumo Salad – A few options here but be careful, a lot of the G & D are hiding in the dressings and sauces. If you have the luxury of time then go ahead and make your own bowl from scratch – you can’t go wrong that way. Other wise the green goddess grain bowl & the pepper smoked tasmanian salad are GF & DF. If you’re feeling a soup, go the kale quinoa and veggie soup. Dressings that are GF & DF are apple cider honey vinaigrette, creamy french, lemon parsley, olive oil, roasted garlic, seeded mustard vinaigrette.
- Yo!Sushi – Sushi more often than not has GF options because its foundation is basically rice, seaweed and a protein. They don’t do GF soy sauce here (tamari). But if you BYO or don’t mind not having sauce with your sushi then jump on board!
- Tuk Chop – Another Vietnamese place! They do GF pho, rice paper rolls, egg fried rice and vermicelli salads!
The easiest thing to do is to pre-pack some foods and take them on board with you. These are a few things I always take through with me to eat before I get on the plane or during the flight. Some airlines offer gluten free/dairy free options when flying but you will most probably have to pay for it. Please note, try and eat all your food before you land at your destination. Quarantine can sometimes prohibit some of the things I am about to mention from entering your destination.
- Banana, apple, strawberries, blueberries. (quarantine, quarantine, quarantine, quarantine,)
- Peanut butter (makes even the nastiest piece of GF bread taste better)
- Protein bars
- Vege chips
- “Munch” nut clusters (The BEST, the airport sells them too)
- Tamari sauce (GF Soy Sauce)
If I am staying at my destination for a few days, I sometimes take a long life carton of rice/almond milk. That way I can have tea at the hotel I am staying at. But as for staying in a hotel and away from home as GF & DF, thats for another post!